Monday, November 30, 2015

Ask me if I'm happy

This is the title of an Italian movie I really liked (and I think it sounds better in Italian than in English, but ah well).

So what's new. Not much. The teaching term is over, now one week of apparent calm and then exams will storm the buildings like every year. It will be over too eventually.
Mike is back to his normal self. No real conversation since, he is still doing things for the move, looking for a job, making arrangements for early January to go over etc. Our talking is back to trivial and day to day stuff. We did the shopping for Christmas on line for the children and he did most of the research which was good.

Yesterday we went out for lunch. For the first time in years I'd say we had a baby sitter and we went with friends into town for a catch up and a bite to eat. It was nice, we get on very well with them and yet it felt to me I was acting all the time. Acting to be happy in my relationship, acting to be interested in the upcoming wedding of two of our friends, acting to cheer the news of the third pregnancy of another common friend. They all looked so so happy...
When we came home we put up the Christmas tree (never one of my favourite things to do really) and I was looking at Mike and the children fluffing up the branches (we have a very expensive, very real looking fake tree) and putting up the decoration and I was feeling so much sadness... I'm sure it's also hormonal but still. I so wish I could share that happiness that lightness of the heart...while I just wished I was somewhere else. And this is so so heavy on me, I feel totally responsible for the lack of enthusiasm, for again feeling very much alone (I worry a lot about the move and just keep it to myself, Mike never asks), completely preoccupied with things other than the family and it's not right. I started thinking it will be the last Christmas in this house for sure, got a bit emotional. When I told Mike he said "let's make it a good one" and he is right, I just don't know where to find the magic dust...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I meant to comment on your last post, but time got away from me. Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. I'm sorry you two aren't on the same page. What about marriage counseling? Or at least you going to see one alone? That might help put things into perspective and help figure out the future. I've always said I'd never stay in a bad marriage for the sake of my kids (I know from personal experience that just doesn't work), but I'd fight like hell to keep my family together if it came down to it. The stakes are so much higher once you have kids. I hope things start to turn around for both of you. Hugs to you.

CJ said...

Hi. I've been reading for years, and I don't think I've ever commented. I am also going through a disconnect with my husband. I'm hoping we can talk and work it out. If not, marriage counseling. Try that first! Hugs to you!